Jump to Section
Working with Cigna for more than 17 years – New Directions for Women understands the needs of their customers
We work diligently to meet both the needs of the individual seeking addiction treatment as well as following the protocols set out by Cigna. Treating women with a substance use disorder (SUD) requires a license by the State of California. In addition, New Directions for Women is CARF accredited and ASAM Certified. We use the latest techniques and follow the guidelines for the American Society for Addiction Medicine.
Who is Cigna Behavioral Health?
Founded in 1974, Cigna Behavioral Health is one of the oldest providers of behavioral health benefits in the U.S. Cigna Behavioral Health is a subsidiary, or branch, of the medical insurance giant, CIGNA. The company handles behavioral health care benefits and employee assistance programs (EAPs) for around 18 million members of their health plan nationwide.
Their network includes more than 100,000 associated physicians and about 9,000 facilities. It is a global health service company with 95 million customers around the world and more than 40,000 employees worldwide. We are honored to be a healthcare partner for their customers.
What Are Cigna’s Substance Use Disorder Benefits?
Claims related to the treatment of substance use disorders are administered by Cigna Behavioral Health under your employer-sponsored health plan. Your plan might include access to benefits for confidential therapy, a range of treatment options, and access to recovery specialists. It all depends on the plan purchased.
Your plan might include:
- Inpatient and outpatient treatment programs combined with case management services if needed.
- Coaching and support programs that are personalized according to your schedule and life situation.
- Referrals to community support groups in your area, behavioral coaches, and online resources.
Things You Should Know About Substance Use Coverage
- Follow the requirements of your employer’s medical plan to make an appointment with a doctor, therapist, or inpatient clinic, hospital, or treatment center.
- Pay cost share as outlined in your plan. This means that for plans with a deductible, you will pay for covered care until you reach the plan deductible amount. Once you meet the deductible, the plan begins to cover some or all of your costs as outlined in your plan agreement. If your mental health and substance use coverage is included under your employer’s medical plan, there is no separate deductible.
- Your plan documents will have information about treatments that may require prior approval by Cigna before you get the service. You may need to have one treatment before you can be approved for the next level.
- Verify your coverage and the substance use and alcohol use disorder policy. There may be some costs that you will pay depending on individual plans and policies, the chosen treatment, and whether it’s a Cigna-approved facility. Fortunately, New Directions for Women is approved by Cigna for substance use treatment.
Types of Behavioral Health Treatment Covered by Cigna
Included in Cigna’s substance abuse coverage are two main types of treatment: Inpatient and Outpatient. Either one may include substance abuse treatment as well as Cigna depression care and Cigna mental health counseling. However, most people struggling with addiction find this is not enough.
Inpatient Treatment at New Directions
Inpatient treatment is also known as residential treatment or rehab. Inpatient care includes staying at the treatment facility for a month or a few months with 24-hour monitoring and daily treatment. This is the highest level of treatment and is best for people who don’t have a safe place to live while getting treatment. It’s an excellent choice for people who do not feel confident about being able to stay abstinent while at home.
People in residential programs typically have access to medical care, alternative therapies, and family therapies. They have the advantage of a team of licensed professionals with an array of behavioral health expertise.
This can be a very difficult choice for a woman with children. In fact, it’s one of the main reasons women do not seek treatment. We understand that and have mother/child programs that can make recovery less stressful for the mother who doesn’t want to or can’t leave her children for a long period of time.
Detox at New Directions for Women
Detox is actually your first step toward recovery before you enter a treatment program. If you have a severe or long-term substance use problem, you will likely need detoxification. Drug or alcohol detox can be extremely uncomfortable and even dangerous, so detox in a medically supervised detox center is important.
Always verify your insurance to see if your plan covers all or part of detox. Our insurance professionals at New Directions will be happy to handle this for you. All of your information is confidential.
Outpatient Treatment at New Directions
Therapy or addiction counseling provided by professionals in outpatient care. Individuals in outpatient treatment might have one or more sessions a week, but they don’t live in a treatment facility. People with an addiction live at home and are, in most cases, able to continue with normal activities such as work or school while going through treatment. Cigna alcohol use care and Cigna substance use care both offer one-on-one therapy for learning how to live without alcohol or drugs.
Partial Day Treatment at New Directions
Partial day treatment is also known as a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP). PHP could be considered the next level of care after residential treatment. Chemically dependent women in this program will receive intense therapy and counseling sessions and medical supervision while at the treatment facility. But they do not stay overnight.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) at New Directions
At New Directions for Women, we offer an Intensive Outpatient Program. This program offers the intensity of the therapy and counseling sessions that you would have in the residential program, the woman will still live at home. She can attend treatment sessions while her children are in school.
Types of Therapy Offered at New Directions
At New Directions, our treatment programs are run by medical staff or certified addiction counselors. Our programs use a variety of therapies for addiction treatment. It is a many-sided mental disorder that can’t be healed by one method alone.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is one of the main treatment methods for addiction. CBT therapists work with individuals to figure out the negative thought patterns that lead to unhealthy behavior.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a form of CBT that helps people regulate their emotional responses.
- Group therapy gives people with substance use disorders the chance to relate to other people who are also struggling with similar issues.
- Support groups are less formal groups of people who are all suffering from addiction. The group is a safe environment to discuss personal issues related to substance use and its effect on their lives.
- Art therapy is used to help individuals express emotions in different ways. If a person has a hard time talking about her feelings, art can be a therapeutic way to release deep emotions.
Mental Health Coverage
Typically, mental health is included in coverage for behavioral health services. The truth is, many people with a substance use disorder also have a co-occurring mental health illness. The most successful treatments address all of the behavioral health needs of an individual at the same time. It’s important to get a diagnosis that reveals the substance use disorder and mental disorder and choose treatment appropriately. A situation like this is known as a dual diagnosis.
The standards for coverage by Cigna are:
- having a diagnosis of mental illness from a professional
- a recommended treatment plan
Similar to substance use disorders, this care might be at a residential facility if needed or outpatient therapy. If you are trying to determine the best level of care for you or your loved one and you have Cigna insurance, we will guide you through the process.
A lot of people are affected by mental health disorders like depression, bipolar disorder, or panic disorders. Disorders like these can make it difficult to think clearly, manage how you feel, and work with other people. Sometimes, it can make you feel helpless.
Talking with other people who have these problems can help you and treatment can help you get back into control of your life. Possibly, you’re worried about someone else. We can provide information to help answer your questions.
Continuum of Care
New Directions for Women offers a continuum of care that will help women enter treatment at the level needed and continue their journey to long-term recovery and abstinence.
Levels of Care offered at New Directions for women are:
- Residential treatment
- Partial day treatment
- Intensive Outpatient treatment
- Sober Living
Why Go to New Directions?
New Directions for Women is contracted with Cigna Behavioral Health for all levels of care. If you have any questions, call us directly. We can guide you through the process of determining the best place to start and the level of care you might need. New Directions for Women and Cigna are available 24/7. Together, we are on a mission to improve the health, well being, and peace of mind of women suffering from alcoholism and addiction.
If you or a loved one is looking for addiction treatment services for women and you have a question about insurance or our services, please contact us. Nothing happens without you. You need to take the next step. We’ve come this far together, don’t give up now.