New Directions for Women Alumnae
We know addiction is a chronic, lifelong disease that our patients will be managing for the rest of their lives. Their lifelong recovery journey starts here, and that is why we have invested so deeply in our Alumnae Association. Over five thousand women have entered our doors, and there are pockets of our alumnae in every part of the country. We connect women who are discharging outside of Southern California to a Sister in Sobriety who has gone through New Directions for Women, is doing well in her recovery, and can serve as a sober contact who has ‘been there’.
Emili B., Recovery Support Specialist (Alumnae Coordinator) is vital to our Alumnae Processes. Emili B., is a graduate of NDFW. She underwent both in patient, intensive out patient, and sober living while she was at New Directions for Women. It is her belief that sobriety and recovery flourishes when we connect with our fellow sobriety sisters and plant our roots firmly in a strong foundation. She, and many others, have built their foundation here at New Directions. She is a great role model to our patients! Another role she serves is administering follow up surveys to patients at 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, and a year after discharge so we can track outcomes through our Quality Improvement department, and stay in the loop with our recent graduates.
Emili oversees a minimum of two Alumnae events on our campus each month, including a dinner speaker panel where women come back to share their story with our current residents over dinner. It is important to have fun in recovery! We have an Easter Brunch, overnight Alumnae Retreat and Reunion, a Halloween Party, a Holiday Party and other festive events to provide a fun, sober environment for patients and alumnae. It can be hard for our patients to be away from their families during these holidays so we create a family environment of our own for them.
New Directions is a proud to be charter members of TPAS, the Treatment Providers Alumnae Services organization that was created to provide guidance to those in Alumnae Services throughout the country.
New Directions for Women is blessed to have an active Alumnae organization that supports the ongoing recovery of new members and current patients. The Alumnae hosts many types of activities throughout the year and also meet regularly to help promote the camaraderie new members and patients begin while in treatment. By participating in the Alumnae organization, women learn that they can have a fun and fulfilling life in sobriety while giving back to others, the organization, the New Directions for Women Foundation and Repeat Boutique.
**Join our Alumnae Facebook page!
It’s a great way to keep in contact with your fellow sisters and stay updated on upcoming events.
If you have any questions contact Emili Barbour at: email@example.com or by phone at: 949-313-1192 ext 303.
Join us for Mindfulness Mondays!
At our Red Hill Outpatient Offices every Monday night.
Where: 3001 Redhill Ave, Building 4 Ste. 109. Costa Mesa, CA 92626
6:00pm-7:00pm ~ Recovery Centered Yoga Session
7:15pm-8:15pm ~Refuge Recovery Meeting
What is Refuge Recovery?: A Buddhist-inspired path to recovery from addiction of all kinds. The group recognizes and respects that there are multiple perspectives and multiple approaches to recovery; we gather in the spirit of investigation of a Buddhist approach. For more information visit: www.refugerecovery.org
(Both groups are open to all!)
Alumnae Activities and Events
- Alumnae Meeting – 1st Thursday of every month at 7:00 pm at New Directions for Women
Alumnae meet to connect with one another, meet future alumnae and plan activities. All Alumnae are invited.
- Monthly Dinner and Panel Meetings – 4th Thursday of every month at 6:00 pm at New Directions for Women Red Hill Intensive Outpatient Offices 3001 Red Hill Ave. The Esplanade Building 4 Unit 109 Costa Mesa, CA 92626 for dinner, with our speaker starting around 7:00 pm. Alumnae join patients for dinner prepared by Chef Glenda followed by an alumnae speaker, sharing her experience, strength, and hope. All Alumnae are invited.
Alumnae Calendar of Events – 2016
ALUMNAE SPEAKER MEETINGS AND DINNER
4th Thursday of the month
- January 28th (at Red Hill)
- February 25th (at Red Hill)
- April 28th (at Founder’s)
- July 28th (at Founder’s)
- September 22nd (at Founder’s)
- Nov 17th (at Founder’s)
ALUMNAE MONTHLY MEETINGS
Held on the 1st Thursday of the month. Activities are decided in advance and e-mailed out – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not already receive updates!
- February 4th (yoga with Katie at Red Hill)
- March 3rd (dinner and games at Founder’s)
- April 7th
- May 5th
- June 2nd
- July 7th
- August 4th (Pizza/pool party at Paula’s)
- September 8th
- October 6th
- November 3rd
- December 1st
ALL SPECIAL ALUMNAE EVENTS
- Easter Brunch: March 19th 12:30pm-2:30pm NDFW Campus: Alumnae, patients and families are invited for an Easter Egg Hunt and brunch at Founder’s! A special guest will be joining us!
- Alumnae Retreat –(June or July– Date Tentative) Alumnae enjoy some much needed time to fellowship while fostering relationships with other women who have benefited from our program over the years. Alumnae, staff, family and patients are invited.
- Cookout & Clothing Swap – June 23rd, NDFW Campus, 6-8pm: Join us to swap gently used clothing and enjoy a cook out in our beautiful new space!
- Pizza and Pool Party – August 4th, Paula B’s House in Santa Ana: Alumnae are invited to enjoy fellowship swimming, and pizza and we have our gracious alumna Paula who shares her home with us.
- Beach Party – August 21st, Bolsa Chica State Beach, near Tower 22, 11:00am-3:00pm: Every August Alumnae host a beach party at Corona del Mar State Beach for patients, Alumnae, family and friends.
- Halloween Party – October 27th, NDFW Campus, 6-8 pm. Alumnae, staff, family, friends.
- Special Gratitude Meeting- November 17th: in honor of Thanksgiving, we come together as a family and remind each other of how truly blessed we all are.
- Holiday Party – December 15th at Founder’s, 6-8pm: – every December the Alumnae host a party complete with turkey dinner, opportunity prizes and fun! Alumnae, family and patients are invited.
Please watch our Events and Calendars pages for upcoming Alumnae activities. If you are not receiving our e-blasts, please let us know and join our mailing list by emailing Tania Bhattacharyya at email@example.com